The area of The Danube Region is full of history and every curious visitor is satisfied that the glory of southern Slovakia does not begin and end at the famous Komárno walls that were never conquered by the rebels, nor the Turks. Many local historical monuments you can visit by car, by bike thanks to the cycling route or by boat, which will offer candidates interesting scenic cruise.
Fortification system of Komárno stands proudly in its place since the 16th century, when it began the construction of lasting until the end of the 19th century. City at the confluence of the Danube and Váh was a strategic location for the monarchy. The irony is that after more than 400 years of building and improving the defensive walls shortly after its completion become practically useless in defending the city. Although the new technology beat Komárno more than 100 years ago, the fortification system takes visitors breaths until today.
The village of Iža hides a monument of rare origin – Roman military fortress. It was one of the largest building complexes in Romans Barbaricum, north of the Danube. Importance of the fortress was confirmed by the rich archeological findings. Remnants of stone fortress are today available for public. Southern fortress wall is highlighted by a partial reconstruction. In the northern part there are recessed archaeological excavations in the area of north gate and on both corners, with the remains of walls and a preliminary partial reconstruction of the floor plans of these fortress parts. In the complex there are located steles made of artificial stone with metal text plates about the meaning and history of the fortress.
In Patince besides the spa complex you can find a historical piece of technology – steam pumping station. It was built in 1897 near the Danube stream. It was part of the water regulation system of local water streams. Part of the unique building is a coal warehouse, a chimney and a building with supply and discharge valves. It is located near the road heading from Komárno to Štúrovo.
In the first half of the 13th century in Kravany nad Dunajom was built a baroque church of the Name of Virgin Mary. Slovak Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development funded its reconstruction covered from the EU funds, works should be completed in 2020. Interesting is that within the municipality of the village there were built five mansions and two manor houses, which is very unusual for such a small village. Only four aristocratic objects remained until today.
The village of Mužla offers a wind well to all the tech enthusiasts. Only two other wind wells similar to the one in Mužla were built before 1920 – in villages Lok and Trávnica.
One of the biggest attractions in The Danube Region is certainly the city of Štúrovo and a historic bridge of Maria Valeria, which forms the gateway to its Hungarian fraternal city Esztergom. Here dominates the Esztergom Basilica. It was consecrated in 1856 and it is the third largest cathedral in Europe with the thickest walls, in which you can see the largest known altar image by the Master Michelangelo Grigoletti. Also because of this monumental building The Danube Region is worth visiting.